Netflix Nigeria is a subsidiary of the streaming giants that gives members the opportunity to watch a wide range of award winning TV shows movies, documentaries and others with varieties of internet-connected devices.
With the video streaming service, you can watch as many movies as you want. You can also pause and play while you do that.
And this can be done any time and anywhere on any internet connected screen device. It also features movies on different languages too.
You will need a very fast internet access and preferably uncapped one. In my opinion, spectranet offers the best plans for netflix in Nigeria for now though the likes of airtel and mtn are getting on the lane.
How Does Netflix Work
Netflix can be accessed with the aid of any internet connectable devices like TVs, Game consoles, Media streaming devices, Blu-ray disc players, Tablets and Smartphones.
Netflix Nigeria Subscription Price
Netflix basic plan cost 2900 Naira, standard package price is 3,600 Naira and premium subscription amount is 4,400 Naira.
- Basic: This is for new subscribers that want SD resolution access only. And it is limited to one device. The monthly fee is N2,900.
- Standard: This subscription can be viewed on two devices at time. It is up to 1080p resolution. The monthly fees is N3,600.
- Premium: This is subscription views on up to four devices at a time. It is up to 4k UHD resolution and HDR. Monthly fee is N4,400.
About the Company
The company was founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Mare Randolph in Scott valley, California.
It is an American media service powder and production company. Having its head-quarter in Los Gatos, California.
The major aim of this business is its subscription- base streaming of TV programs, a library of films including those produced at home.
It is a member of motion of picture Association ( MPA). Netflix is available worldwide except in the following countries: Iran, Syria, China, North Korea etc. Apart from the mentioned countries above, you can find Netflix in other countries.
Major offices of Netflix are located in countries like Japan, Brazil, India, Netherlands and South Korea. Its initial business model actually involved DVD sales and rental by mail.
History Of Netflix
Netflix was founded by Mare Randolph and Reeds Hastings.
Randolph worked as a marketing director for Hastings company, Pure Artia.
He was a co-founder of Micro-warehouse – a computer mail order company. He was later employed by Borland international as vice president of marketing.
Reed Hastings – a computer scientist and a mathematician sold Pure Artia to Rational Software Corporation in 1997 for 700million dollars. It was then the biggest acquisition in silicon valley history.
They came up with the idea of Netflix while commuting between their homes in Santa Cruz and Pure Artia’s headquarters in Sunnyvale, while waiting for the government regulators to approve the merger.
Hastings invested 2.5million dollars in start-up cash for Netflix. Randolph admired the fledgling e-commerce company Amazon and wanted to find a large category of portable items to sell over the internet using a similar model.
Both of them considered and rejected VHS tapes as too expensive to stock and too delicate to ship.
On March 24, 1997 Randolph and Reeds heard about DVDs. It was first introduced in United States. They tested the concept of selling or renting DVDs by mail.
When the disc arrived intact, they decided to take on the 16million dollars home video sales and rental industry.
Netflix launched as the world’s first online DVD rental store.
Having only thirty employee and 925 titles available which was almost the entire catalogue of DVDs in print, at a time.
Netflix initiated an initial public offering (IPO) on May 29,2002, selling 5.5million shares of common stock.
Netflix TV Shows
- Fox T.v show – where you find Bob’s Burger, Fringe, New girl, Bones, X-files.
- WB T.v shows – where you can watch your seasonal Arrow, The flash, Supernatural, Super girl, Legends of tomorrow.
- NBC T.v shows – here you find Heroes, Quantum leap, The blacklist, Packs and recreation, 30 rock, The good place.
- ABC T.v shows – here you find shows like Lost, Once upon a time, Marvel’s agent of shield.
Also Netflix has it’s original shows which features The Queen, House of cards, The Order, The Defenders, On my block, Hemlock grove, The chilling adventures of Sabrina.
They also have movies like Marvel’s the avengers, Hugo, and Games such as Twilight, Catching fire. However, Netflix has the following limitations;
Contents are deleted from the service after sometime.
Netflix do not post list of up coming events.
They do not also post informations on their service menu. You can only get informations through a third party source.
You can only access past seasons of t.v shows if they are currently running. How do I mean? If you missed an episode in seasonal movie or t.v show, you will have to wait for the entire current season to be concluded before you can gain access to the previous episode.
Few Facts About Netflix
- Extensive hidden genre category – As much as you use Netflix , the t.v/movie selection menus starts conforming more to what your genre preference may be.
- While choosing a name or the company, Netflix was formerly and originally called KIBBLE.
- Initially Netflix executives reach out to their customers by home calls.
- First users of Netflix received discs full of Chinese pornography.
- Soon Netflix and Youtube will be accessible for Telsa owners. The service will only be available when the cars aren’t on the move.
- You can also download movies on Netflix to be watched later. Also when you are watching a movie you can fast forward, rewind and even pause or play the movie.
- Netflix is the world’s best and leading streaming entertainment service having 183 million members in more than 190 countries.
How to Sign Up and Be a Member of Netflix
Now to become a member of Netflix, it will interest you to know that Netflix offers three membership plans to fit your needs. These membership plan have been stated.
To become a member of Netflix, you have to choose a membership plan that is suitable for you.
These plans are Basic plan, Standard plan and Premium plan.
Then you create an account using your email or g-mail address. Also create a personal password.
After which you enter your payment method. You are already a member. Note that with your online registration you will be charged monthly according to your subscription plan.
Just in case you decide to opt out, you can always cancel your membership on line any time you want.
Notable Points To Remember About The Company
- Reed Hastings and co founder of Netflix – Marc Randolph founded Netflix in 1997.
- The first DVD rentals and sales site (Netflix.com) was launched in 1998.
- A subscription service was activated, offering unlimited DVD rentals at a low price per month in 1998.
- In 2000 however, Netflix introduced a personalised movie recommendation system. This system uses subscribers ratings to predict the choices for all Netflix members. Then in 2002 – the first public offering was made under the sticker ‘NFLX’
- In 2003, Netflix members hits 1 million. Netflix was also issued a patent by Trademark office and the US patent to cover up it’s subscription and other extensions.
- Then, in 2014, NETFLIX members increases to 2 million members and then grows over to 5 million in 2006.
- Streaming Service was introduced to enable members watch T.v shows instantly on their personal computers in 2007.
- In 2011, Netflix was launched in Latin America and the Caribbean. In 2012, Netflix won it’s first award (Prime-time Emmy Engineering Award). In the same year, Netflix launched it’s first original Special Stand Up which was “Bill Burr, You People Are The Same”. At this point, Netflix members were now 25 million in number.
- Netflix expands the partnership collaboration with consumer electronic companies. In order to access and stream on PS3 and other internet connected devices like Internet connected TVs and others. In 2009, members increased rapidly to 10 million.
- After Netflix has expanded to Netherlands. It launched her first state of original programming which included “Orange is the new black”, “Hemlock Grove,” “House of cards”, “Arrested Development” in 2013.
- In 2017, Netflix members ranked 100 million worldwide. In 2018, NETFLIX won the Academy Award for the best documentary feature of “Icarus”.
- It also became the most nominated service in the 2018 Prime time and Creative Arts Emmy Awards with 112 nominations.
- By 2019, Netflix had already won Four Academy Award which are the best foreign language films and best Cinematography for “ROMA,”. Also best Documentary Short subject for period, End of sentence and then Best Director.
- Netflix also released it’s first original animated ( cartoon) film Klaus. Netflix won a total of 27 prime time and Creative Arts Emmy Awards for series movies like “ Black Mirror,” “When They See Us,” “Ozark,” “Queer Eye” and “Bander snatch”.
One of my previous post is for some people that are having problem choosing between dstv and netflix to make their decision easier.
With so much achievement, Netflix Nigeria has enhanced better on it’s streaming service to their members and still remains the World best Streaming Entertainment Service.