Do you want to study business administration in the university? Here are the Jamb subject combination as well as O’level and direct entry requirements for it.
Business administration in most cases refers to programs available in the universities to teach the basic practices and principles of good business. It also refers to the management of business in all aspects. This includes marketing, accounting, finance, and human resources and how they interrelate and operate.
As a graduate of the department of business administration, you will be able to possess the ability to think critically and have practical knowledge in areas of business specialties. The course is generally designed to help students learn and understand what business is all about.
Candidates who wish to understand the nature of how business works will need to apply to study business administration in any of the Nigerian universities. To get the whole admission process easy, you need to know the basic requirements needed to study the course.
Candidates without the right information may not be able to secure an admission into the university of their choice. To this end, this post is created to serve the purpose of enlightening candidates who are seeking admission to know all that is required of them. You can know the JAMB requirement, JAMB UTME subject combination, accepted O’Level subject combination, direct entry requirement, universities where you can study the course and other relevant information which will help to make the process very easy for you.
Why you Should Study Business Administration
For those still confused about why they should study Business Administration in the university, you should know that it opens doors to many opportunities. With a degree in Business Administration, you can work in many professional industries. You can help in managing the business aspects of any organization.
Below are some sectors you can work for as a graduate of business administration:
- Social services
- Protective services
- Non-profit agencies
JAMB Subject Combination for Business Administration
Candidates who wish to study Business Administration in any of the Nigerian university has to sit for the following subjects in the JAMB UTME: English language (This is compulsory for all candidates), Economics, Mathematics, and any other subject.
Candidates should note that JAMB cut off marks to study any course in a Nigerian university is 180 but most universities require candidates to have a minimum of 200 in their JAMB UTME score to become eligible to be invited for post UTME tests and possible admission.
A minimum JAMB score of 180 can make you become eligible to write the post UTME test of most universities but note that 200 is not sufficient to get you admitted. Aim at least 200 to 220 so that you can stand a better chance to get admission.
Candidates with less than 180 JAMB score can proceed with their application to any of the colleges of Education or Polytechnics. You should note that the JAMB cut off marks for Polytechnics and colleges is 150.
You can also learn about the utme subject combination for economics student in my previous write up.
To study Business administration in a Nigerian university, you are required to have a minimum of 5 credit passes in their Senior Secondary School Examination (SSCE). O’Level results accepted include WASSCE/ NECO or any of its equivalent.
A minimum of credit in the following is compulsory: English, Mathematics, Economics. You can also choose any of the following subjects to make of the nine subjects you need: Government, Literature in English, Commerce, Geography and Accounting. You can also add any trade subject.
You may need to add one of the languages to your O’Level result. Yoruba language is a compulsory subject when seeking admission in any polytechnic, college of education or university in Lagos state.
Direct Entry Requirement
Candidates can also apply for direct entry to study Business Administration. Application via direct entry affords candidates to resume into the university in the second year, I.e. 200 level. Such candidates are expected to meet any of the following requirements.
To get admission into any university for direct entry to study Business Administration, such candidates are expected to meet any of the following requirements
Five credits in your O’Level examination. The subjects included are English language, Mathematics, English Language, Literature in English, Government, Literature in English, Commerce, Geography and Accounting. Note that the accepted O’Level result includes WASSCE/ NECO or any of its equivalent in not more than one sitting.
In addition to the five credits in your O’Level result, you are required to have A’Level passes in Business Management, Economics, Government, Accounts, statistics or Geography
Candidates with ND and NCE results in Business Administration and any related course with a minimum of Merit and Lower Credit passes respectively can also apply for direct entry.
However, different universities have their own special requirements for candidates applying for direct entry to study business administration. You need to know the required A’Level result or subject combination that each universities require.
Apart from the general direct entry requirements listed above, here are some special requirements by some university.
- DELSU accepts candidates with Intermediate Examination passes from recognized professional organizations such as Chartered Institute Management of Nigeria *CIMN(
- PHC does not offer direct entry to study Business administration
- PLASU does not accept candidates with diploma that are not accredited by the relevant accrediting agencies.
- MCPHERSON accepts ICAN or any related approved programmes.
Universities You Can Study Business Administration
In order for candidates to be guided when choosing which university to Business Administration, we have come up with a comprehensive list of Nigerian university that offers the course.
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Abia State University (ABSU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU)
- Anambra State University (ANSU)
- Bayero University Kano (BUK)
- Benue State University (BSU)
- Bingham University (BINGHAM)
- Bowen University (BU)
- Caritas University (CARITAS)
- Delta State University (DELSU)
- Gombe State university (GOMSU)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- Osun State University (UNIOSUN)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Usman Dan Fodio University (UDUSOK)
- Kaduna State university (KASU)
- Madonna University (MADONNA)
- Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA)
- kogi State University (KSU)
- Kwara State University (KWASU)
- Nasarawa State University (NSUK)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University (IBBU)
- Crawford University (CRAWFORD)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU)
- Covenant University (CU)
- Obong University (OU)
- Redeemer’s University (RUN)
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU)
- Western Delta University (WDU)
- Novena University (NOVENA)
- Afe Babalola University (ABUAD)
- Bauchi State University (BASU)
- Federal University, Dutsin-ma (FUDMA)
- Federal University, Lafia (FUL)
- Federal University, Oye-ekiti (FUOYE)
- Federal University, Wukari (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University (FOUNTAIN)
- Godfrey Okoye University (GO)
- Landmark University (LANDMARK)
- Lead City University (LCU)
- Paul University (PAUL)
- Rhema University (RHEMA)
- Taraba State University (TASU)
- University Of Mkar (UNIMKAR)
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State (NPA)
- Federal University Gusau (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Yobe State University (YSU)
- Federal University Gashua (FUGASHUA)
- Gregory University, Uturu (GUU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina (AUK)
- Sokoto State University (SSU)
- Ritman University (RITMAN)
It is a good thing if you make up your mind to study business administration at the university. The countless opportunities you are exposed to is something that makes the course worthwhile.
Candidates should know that only students with good arts and commercial backgrounds are eligible to study business administration in any of the Nigerian universities. With the information above, you should be able to know all that is required of you.
It is important for Jamb candidates to know that wrong subject combination can lead to disqualification from getting admission.
Even if you eventually get admission, some universities will still withdraw that admission when they discover that you have the wrong subjects combinations.